When temperatures start to dip down below 40 degrees, a hot breakfast helps take the chill off fall mornings!
Originally inspired by Food by Mars, here’s a delicious recipe to try:
Paleo Cinnamon Apple Porridge
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk (almond, coconut, hemp, etc.)
- 1-2 tsp Miyoko’s European Style Cultured Vegan Butter with Sea Salt
- 3 TBSP almond meal
- 3 TBSP unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 TBSP hemp seeds
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP golden flaxseed meal
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice (see below for recipe)
- 1/2 small sweet tart apple (Granny Smith or Pink Lady), diced
- 2-3 tsp Brown Swerve (a brown sugar substitute)
- roasted chopped walnuts or pecans
Apple Pie Spice Mix:
Combine 2 TBSB ground cinnamon, 1 TBSP ground nutmeg, 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice, and 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom or cloves. Store in an airtight container and stir into Cinnamon Apple Porridge or use when baking apple pie, apple crisp, or baked apples.
Combine all ingredients except the roasted nuts in a small saucepan. Stir together over medium heat until warm, bubbly, and thickened. Serve in a bowl topped with nuts, and extra dairy free milk, if desired. Yum!!!
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, DHP