Here’s a simple way to make water more exciting: infuse it with ginger and citrus! The addition of ginger, citrus, and fresh mint will not only make your water taste amazing, it will benefit your body in many ways!
Ginger contains natural anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antimicrobial properties; citrus fruits like lemons and limes are rich in Vitamin C, flavonoids, antioxidants, and minerals; and mint is refreshing and nourishing.
Ginger/Citrus Infused Water
- Fresh ginger (organic) – 1 1/2 teaspoons, grated
- Fresh lemon and lime (organic) – 1 each, sliced
- Fresh mint leaves (chopped) – to taste
- Grate 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh ginger
- Boil 4 cups of water
- Add the ginger to the water
- Remove the water from the stove
- Allow the ginger to steep for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain the liquid to remove ginger pieces
- Allow the water to cool
- Pour the prepared ginger water into a large glass pitcher (64 ounces); add in the sliced lemons and limes, and mint leaves.
- Fill the pitcher with rest of the way with more water, and serve chilled
NOTE: Store in the refrigerator, and discard the lemons, limes, and mint if storing overnight. You can cut the recipe in half if you are not serving a large group of people.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, DHP