On a busy day, this is a great recipe to have on hand when you want to get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less!
Comforting cabbage and beef is a one-pot meal, and it tastes a good as it smells. Allspice is the secret to it’s beautiful aroma and flavor.
Keep some cabbage, fire-roasted tomatoes, and grass-fed ground beef on hand, and you’ll be able to enjoy this comforting meal in short order.
Comforting Cabbage and Beef
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium head green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 large can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup beef bone broth (we like Kettle & Fire)
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Option: 1/2 cup brown rice left over from another meal can be added for extra flavor and goodness!
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat; then add the ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until crumbled and brown.
- Add the onion, and cook for 3 – 4 minutes until starting to become translucent. Stir in the garlic, and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add in the green cabbage, and stir well to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until the cabbage begins to wilt, then pour in the fire-roasted tomatoes and beef bone broth.
- Stir in the allspice, salt and pepper. Cover an allow to simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes. If adding the optional brown rice, add it in the last 5 minutes to warm it through.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- To serve, scoop into four soup bowls. Spoons are the best utensils to use for eating this meal. Enjoy!
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, CNHP, CHS, CSMC