The temperatures are dropping and it’s time to break out the soup recipes! Here’s one that highlights a vegetable that isn’t usually the star of the show: celery.
This creamy celery soup recipe inspired by downshiftology.com is gluten free and diary free…totally delicious and satisfying! For a vegetarian version, simply replace the bone broth with vegetable broth.
Creamy Celery Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small to medium leek, cleaned and diced (white and light green parts)
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 – 3 fresh cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch celery, diced (about 8-10 stems)
- 4 cups organic chicken bone broth (we like Kettle & Fire Bone Broth)
- 1 tsp salt (we like pink Himalayan salt)
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk (we like Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Optional: Fresh celery leaves or parsley and paprika, as toppings
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until just beginning to shimmer. Add the diced onion, leek and celery and sauté for about 10 minutes; then add the garlic and sauté for about two more minutes, until fragrant.
2. Add the bone broth and salt to the pot and increase the heat to high, just until the soup comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy. [If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also transfer the soup in batches to a high-powered blender to blend.]
4. Taste; add more salt, if needed. Finish by adding freshly ground black pepper to taste.
5. To serve the soup, garnish with celery leaves or parsley and paprika, if desired. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear how you like this recipe! Give it a try and tell us about it in the comments below.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS