By Kristin Stephens, MS, NTP
Last week we began our Healthy Meals Made Easy series, and shared 5 Easy Protein Options with you. This week, we’re excited to share some delicious ways to cook vegetables.
For optimal health and wellness, we should consume 9 cups of vegetables every day!
Many of us don’t even come close to that recommended amount; but trying new vegetables can actually be a tasty adventure for the whole family. It’s time to break out of the same old routine and explore the amazing variety of fresh vegetables available for us to enjoy.
Remember, living the Pure Lifestyle should truly be a pleasure. Give these simple recipes a try, and surprise your family with a yummy new take on veggies!
5 Easy Veggie Options
Stuck in a rut with your daily veggies? We’ve got a few new ways to cook up nutrient-dense, delicious vegetables to pair with your favorite protein.
- Roasted broccoli and cauliflower – cut broccoli and cauliflower into small florets. Place on baking sheet with 2 tbsp avocado oil, ghee, or tallow. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Toss the veggies once during baking to ensure even doneness.
- Steamed green beans – place a steamer basket in a large pot with an inch of water. Bring water to boil on stove and let green beans steam until bright green and slightly soft with a little bit of a crisp – about 10 minutes. Serve with ghee and sea salt.
- Grilled peppers and squash – cut onions, peppers, and squash into one inch chunks. Place in a grill basket or on skewers and drizzle avocado oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill for 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Cauliflower mash – cut up one head of cauliflower into chunks and place in steamer basket in large pot on stove with one inch of water. Bring to a boil and cook until cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork. Transfer steamed cauliflower to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add in a few tablespoons of ghee, sea salt, and black pepper, along with garlic powder and onion powder for more flavor.
- Sautéed greens – cut 1 pound of Swiss chard, spinach, or kale into 1/4″-1/2″ strips and pieces. In a large skillet, heat avocado oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic, and diced onion, and sauté until onion softens. Add the leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
As always, we’d love to hear from you! What is your favorite veggie, and how do you like to prepare it?
For an in-depth conversation about how improving your nutritional intake can enhance your overall wellbeing, please contact Pure Nutrition + Wellness at email@example.com, or call us at 844-787-3935.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Kristin Stephens, MS, NTP