Some days, we just want a nice bowl of hot cereal. We avoid grains when following the Paleo eating plan, but here’s a way to reintroduce the idea of a hot cereal into your menu without straying off-course! Paleo Hot “Cereal” paired with cinnamon and apples is aromatic, filling, and satisfying. Best of all, it’s so quick and easy!
If you haven’t tried the Kirkland Organic Ground Saigon Cinnamon, this is a perfect time to do so. It’s a favorite at my (Vicki’s) house, and you can order it from amazon.com if you don’t have a Costco membership.
Paleo Hot “Cereal” Recipe
Makes 1 Serving
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp Truvia, or liquid stevia to taste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (try the Kirkland Organic Ground Saigon Cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened coconut, almond, flax, or hemp milk
- 4 ounces organic, unsweetened applesauce
- Mix the coconut flour, shredded coconut, salt, sweetener and cinnamon in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and milk, and then add the applesauce, stirring until well combined.
- Microwave on high for 45 – 60 seconds. Stir, and microwave for another 30 – 60 seconds to reach your desired temperature.
- If the consistency is too thick for your preference, stir in another 1 or 2 Tablespoons of milk to thin out a little.
- Enjoy immediately!
Note: this does not keep well, so it should not be made ahead.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, CSMC