Since it’s not always possible to wash your hands with soap and water…and hand sanitizer is nearly impossible to find in the stores or online, today we’re sharing a great hand sanitizer recipe!
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), hand sanitizer must have 60 percent alcohol content in order to be effective. Here’s a simple way to make your own hand sanitizer using essential oils that is CDC and WHO compliant:
- 2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (70%)
- 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon jojoba oil or sweet almond oil
- 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- Add alcohol, aloe vera, and jojoba or sweet almond oil to a bowl.
- Add essential oils and mix well with to combine all ingredients.
- Place in travel-sized containers with a lid.
*Optional essential oil combinations:
- 10 drops each of Thieves Essential Oil Blend (Young Living) and Lavender essential oil
- 10 drops each of On Guard Essential Oil Blend (DoTerra) and Lavender essential oil
NOTE: this hand sanitizer is not commercial grade and we cannot guarantee its effectiveness.
Remember, washing your hands with soap and water is still the ideal. However, we hope this recipe helps you as you continue to take extra good care of yourselves and your loved ones!
Donna Stephens, Naturopath, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, DHP, CLSC