We love this SO much that we’re sharing it a second time!! Guaranteed to satisfy your craving for a healthy and decadent summer dessert…this creamy, tart, and sweet Key Lime Pie from Paleo Running Momma is sure to make your taste buds do a happy dance!
Paleo Key Lime Pie with Coconut Pecan Crust
Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, Paleo
Makes 8-10 servings
Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
For the Crust:
- Coconut oil for greasing
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- 1 cup dates, softened (microwave in a bit of water to soften)
- ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tsp raw honey
For the Filling:
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp key lime or fresh lime juice (I used a mix of both, just under ½ cup total)
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp raw honey*
- ½ cup organic coconut cream
- 1 tbsp finely grated lime zest
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- 1 can organic coconut milk – separated – thick part only** OR ½ can coconut cream
- 1 tbsp grade b pure maple syrup OR raw honey
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
Prepare the Crust:
- Grease a 9.5 inch pie dish with coconut oil
- In a food processor, combine all crust ingredients and process on high about a minute, until you get a thick pasty mixture. Press this mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish and set aside while you prepare the filling.
Prepare the Filling:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, (or in the bowl of a mixer) whisk or blend together the eggs and yolk with the honey*. Then whisk in the coconut cream, lime juice and zest, and tapioca and mix well until very smooth.
- Pour the filling into the crust (I made a 9.5 pie so if yours is smaller, you may not use all the filling) and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, cover the top of the pie loosely with aluminum foil to prevent the crust from browning too much. Continue to bake another 10-15 minutes until just set (the center will still jiggle a bit) for a total of 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely at room temp, then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before topping with whipped cream.
For the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Beat or whisk the coconut cream until light and creamy (you can use an electric mixer or do it by hand) and lumps are removed, then whisk in the sweetener (honey or maple) and vanilla.
- Top the chilled pie with the whipped cream and garnish with extra lime zest if desired. Cut into pieces and enjoy!
*Add an extra 2 tsp – 1tbsp honey if you prefer a sweeter pie filling, mine was on the tart side
**Refrigerate canned full fat milk coconut to get it to separate into water and cream, then discard the water and use only the cream. Alternatively, you can purchase canned coconut cream. (End of recipe)
We’d love to hear from you! When you give this a try, tell us how you like it!
As always, if we can help you on your journey to wellness, please contact Pure Nutrition and Wellness at email@example.com, or call 844-787-3935.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Kristin Stephens, MS, NTPT