Donna says this is delicious!!!
These cold and gray winter days call for something cozy, comforting, and nourishing and this simple recipe for my creamy cauliflower soup will definitely warm you up. The secret to its creamy texture is leeks, which keep this lovely, velvety soup dairy free!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large white or yellow carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2-3 leeks, cleaned and sliced (white part only)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- 8 cups water
- 1 – 2 teaspoons Himalayan Pink Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Dash nutmeg
- In a large pot, sauté the onion, carrot, celery, and leeks in the olive oil until the onions and leeks are translucent. Add in the garlic, and continue to cook just until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add in the cauliflower florets and water and Himalayan Pink Salt; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the cauliflower and other vegetables are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until thick and creamy. (You can also pour this into a high powered blender; just use what you have.)
- Adjust seasonings (salt and pepper), stir in a dash of nutmeg; then taste again to make sure it suits your tastebuds.
- Serve in soup bowls and enjoy! Can be served with a salad to round out lunch or dinner.
NOTE: If you want to add a smokey, cheesy flavor, try a non-dairy cheese option such as the “just like Smoked Provolone slices” from Violife. I found this in the Natural Foods refrigerated section in Wegman’s. Diced, it melts into the soup quite nicely and adds a depth of flavor that is downright amazing!! ~ Vicki Kolbe
Give this a try and let us know how you like it!
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, DHP