By Kristin Stephens, MS, NTP
Oil Pulling For Oral Health…
This week, we’re sharing another easy healthy habit that you can add to your lifestyle: oil pulling for oral health; it’s so worth it! Read on to learn why!
What is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is the practice of swishing oil in your mouth for up to 20 minutes at a time, and then spitting it out. The oils typically used for this are coconut, sesame, or sunflower. The oil will bind to toxins and clear out bacteria in your mouth.
How to oil pull?
- Measure out a tablespoon or more of your chosen oil.
- Place in your mouth and begin swishing it around like you would with mouthwash.
- Work up to swishing for about 20 minutes. The first time you do it, you might only be able to do 5-10 minutes. Just keep working at it.
- After your time is up, spit the oil out into a trash can – not down the sink drain. The oil could harden and cause a blockage in your pipes. Plus, the oil is now full of the bacteria and toxins from your mouth, so you’ll want to dispose of it in the trash.
- After you spit out the oil, be sure to rinse your mouth with warm water and gently brush your teeth with or without tooth powder.
When to oil pull?
Some say it is best to oil pull in the morning on an empty stomach. There is a chance it could cause an upset stomach if you’ve already eaten. Personally, I’ve been able to oil pull at all times of the day, but I recommend trying in the morning first.
Once daily oil pulling will provide significant benefits, but you could even do as little as twice a week to see results.
There are numerous benefits of oil pulling, but here are just a few related to oral health:
- Whitens teeth
- Kills bad breath
- Cures tooth decay
- Heals bleeding gums
- Prevents cavities
- Strengthens gums and jaw
This is an easy habit to schedule into your daily or weekly routine. Simply put your oil of choice in your bathroom and swish away while you’re in the shower. Be sure to keep disposable cups or a trash can nearby to spit into.
For more information on the detox benefits of oil pulling, check out our Daily Detox post from last summer. Have you started oil pulling? Let us know how it has benefited you in the comments below.
To have an in-depth conversation about how developing healthy habits in your life can help improve your overall health and wellness, contact Pure Nutrition + Wellness at email@example.com, or call us at 844-787-3935.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Kristin Stephens, MS, NTP