Sometimes, you just want a pancake or a waffle; we get it! But, what do you do for a topping that fits the Keto or Paleo way of eating? Here are a couple of ideas for you to try.
- You can make a sauce out of ripe berries: 1/2 cup of raspberries or blueberries cooked down with a little stevia makes a delicious topping for your pancakes or waffles.
- You can make your own sugar-free maple syrup. Give this recipe a try…it’s delicious with your favorite gluten-free pancakes or waffles!
Keto Maple Syrup Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup powdered Swerve (erythritol)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Pure Maple Extract (Cooks Choice is worth trying)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum (we like Bob’s Red Mill)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the water, Swerve, and maple extract.
- Bring to a gentle boil; then reduce heat to a simmer (stirring occasionally) for about 5 minutes until the Swerve has completely dissolved.
- Transfer the liquid into a blender, and sprinkle half of the xanthan gum evenly over the top. Puree the mixture to remove any lumps. Repeat the process with the remainder of the xanthan gum. Wait for a few moments to allow the syrup to thicken.
- Note: if syrup crystallizes once it has been stored, simply reheat.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, DHP