Summertime brings an abundance of squash to local farmer’s markets and the produce section of grocery stores.
Here’s a yummy soup recipe that makes use of zucchini, with a garnish of walnuts and fresh lemon thyme!
You will need just a few ingredients, and either an immersion blender or high speed blender. From start to finish, this recipe takes just about 30 minutes, and there will be left-overs, too!
Zucchini Soup with Walnuts & Fresh Herbs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 3 medium sized leeks, sliced (white part only)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 medium sized zucchini, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small bunch fresh lemon thyme, washed
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pan-toasted walnuts, chopped
- fresh lemon thyme leaves
- Thoroughly clean and prepare the zucchini and leeks.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot; sauté the leeks over medium high heat until translucent, then add the garlic and continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in the zucchini, the chicken broth, the bay leaves and the small bunch of lemon thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, toast the walnuts in a dry pan over medium high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Let cool slightly, then chop. Also, wash and dry the lemon thyme leaves, if you wish to use them.
- Once the vegetable are tender, turn off the heat and either use an immersion blender or place the soup into a high speed blender to puree until thick and creamy. Return to the stove, stir in the coconut milk, heat gently, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, scoop into bowls, top with garnishes, and enjoy!
Paired with a green salad, this will make a delicious summertime lunch or dinner.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CHNP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, DHP