Looking for a comforting, healthy treat to make this weekend? This recipe calls for delicious, ripe berries; use your favorite kind! There are only a few other ingredients involved. Plus, it’s gluten-free, diary free, egg-free, and refined sugar-free. It takes a bit of effort to put together, but you’ll think it’s worth it! Yum!!!
Mixed Berry Oat Bars Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats (certified gluten free)
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink salt (fine)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1-3 tsp water, if needed
- 18 ounces organic fresh or frozen mixed berries (thawed), or your favorite kind!
- 2-3 TBSP pure maple syrup (use less if your berries already taste sweet)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash berries with a fork…just a rough mash is all that’s needed. Then, stir in the maple syrup to taste and the chia seeds. Set aside to let thicken while you make the crust.
- Line an 8 or 9 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Use a food processor to blend the rolled oats and salt into a finely ground flour. Add in the almond flour, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup, blending together until a dough forms. (It should hold together when you pinch it between your fingers.) If needed, add a little bit of water at a time, just until it reaches the proper consistency.
- Set aside 3/4 – 1 cup of the dough. Press the remaining dough into the bottom of the parchment lined pan.
- Spread the prepared berries over the crust, then crumble the remaining dough evenly over the top.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until the crust is golden and the filling has thickened.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.
Donna Stephens, BCN, CNHP, LDHS
Vicki Kolbe, BCHHP, CNHP, DHS